Thursday, December 23, 2010

Make CTRL+ALT+T go straight to Bash instead of the limited Crosh shell

This tip comes courtesy of ngharo on the Chromium OS discuss mailing list, If you know Linux and you've rooted your Cr-48, chances are that when you hit CTRL+ALT+T you're headed for a Bash shell and the limited Crosh shell just leaves you with the additional step of needing to type "shell" each time. Now you can make CTRL+ALT+T go straight to Bash:

  1. Become root.
  2. Run the following commands:
    1. /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd --remove_rootfs_verification
    2. reboot       (Cr-48 will reboot and you'll need to re-login and get back to root)
    3. mount -o remount,rw /
    4. mkdir /usr/local/bin
    5. cat /sbin/window_manager_session.sh | sed -e 's/\/usr\/bin\/cros-term/\/usr\/local\/bin\/bash-term/' > /tmp/window
    6. cat /usr/bin/cros-term | sed -e 's/\/usr\/bin\/crosh/\/bin\/bash/'  > /tmp/bash
    7. sudo cp /tmp/window /sbin/window_manager_session.sh 
    8. sudo cp /tmp/bash /usr/local/bin/bash-term 
    9. sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/bash-term /sbin/window_manager_session.sh
Now when you press CTRL+ALT+T, you should drop right to a lovely little Bash shell saving you 6 precious keystrokes (S, H, E, L, L, and Enter). Be sure to enjoy your newfound free time.

7 comments:

  1. I'd like to implement this tip, but I'm running into a problem on the first step.

    as root, mkdir /usr/local/bin gives me an error saying that it cannot create the directory because it's a Read-only file system.

    Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jono,

    Good catch, forgot about a few commands I had done earlier that gave Read/Write access to /. I've updated the post with full instructions.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I suspect that the problem is coming from window_manager_session.sh.

    On my CR-48, window_manager_session.sh doesn't exist, but rather, window-manager-session.sh does. I followed the instructions, save that little "typo", but didn't work. Advice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. starting from #1. I can't get this to work !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jay (and others), note that this will halt automatic updates, as it is a change to the root filesystem. I think some users are not realizing this when performing these steps (as I just saw another user post about it in the pilot group).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This public wifi network is cutting off my cr-48 from accessing the network because I have exceeded my max time on the network this month. How do I go In and update my tracking info through bash commands so that I can get back on the network?

    ReplyDelete